Becoming a parent these days is so different from how our parents did it. So much of it is figuring things out as you go. Feeling lost or stuck at times and then at others, looking back with wonder to see how far you've come. It can feel like uncharted territory. Scary, but exciting too. That's how it was for me.
Now, in my own journey to forge a better way for new families, I have been excited to discover so many wonderful organisations, to meet such dedicated people in this field and have been honoured to have opportunities to share my, our, story in the hope it benefits others.
Some of my most rewarding experiences so far:
- Advisor for the Australian Catholic University’s guidelines for partners: Supporting Your Partner When you Have a Baby.
- Advisor for Monash University’s Emotional Experiences of Early Parenthood
- Advisor for Newcastle University’s innovative SMS for Dads.
- Relationship Expert for Sydney's Channel 10 news.
- Columnist for Australia’s Practical Parenting Magazine.
- Resident Relationship Expert for Daily Life website.
- “Dear Elly” Q&A relationship advice column in the Sydney Morning Herald & Melbourne Age.
- Presenting in beautiful Dublin, Ireland. click here for presentation.
- Speaker on the Becoming Us™ Stages of Early Parenthood at professional conferences in Australia, the U.S. and the U.K. My next event is 5th May 2017 in beautiful Portland, Oregon, thanks to the Northwest Area Childbirth Educators Forum.
Now it feels like life has come full circle. I’m grateful for these opportunities to meet with professionals from all over the world. Many have shared with me they’re aware of the parenthood gap, but often unsure what they can do about it. I believe the professionals who are doing this vital work are pioneers in the future of parenthood preparation. My hope is to bridge the gap for professionals, as well as for parents, through my Becoming Us online training for professionals.
Thanks to my very lovely and understanding family, I’m available to travel just a couple of times each year. If you’d like me to visit your organisation or run a workshop to support the "becoming" families near you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information and access to my book:
Becoming Us, 8 Steps to Grow a Family that Thrives has been endorsed in Australia by COPE, the Centre of Perinatal Excellence and in North America by CAPPA, The Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association. I'm honoured that Becoming Us has also been included in an anthology of important books by APPPAH, the Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health.
It takes a village to raise a Parenthood Pioneer. I am grateful to the following supporters: