Have questions about our Professional Development Training?
We hope you'll find the answers below. If not, let us know!
What are my options for online enrollment?
You have two options for enrollment - one level at a time, which you can do any time throughout the year, or join a class. We generally run classes two times per year. Our next class starts in May.
How long do I have access to the information for?
You have forever access to the Professional Development Training content and handouts. And if you go on to complete our certification step, as new research comes through that can make a difference for parents, we'll update you and translate it into practical resources that you can use with your clients.
Can I log in to the classes on my own schedule?
Yes, with both enrollment options you can choose to watch the video classes weekly as they arrive in your inbox, or you can get comfy on the couch, log in and binge watch Netflix style. If life gets in the way (we have a few folk with new babies!), you can just pause for as long as needed and we're here to welcome you when you're ready to step back in.
Do you offer CEU's?
Yes. This course is eligible for 25 CEU's from the Australian College of Midwives. We will also seek Continuing Education Units/CPD's from other Australian and international providers if there's enough demand. Details will be put up as the applications are processed.
When you say “certification”, what does that mean?
Now that our initial pilot period has finished, we're working on this part of the training and support process. Certification means you’ll be qualified and entitled to use our Becoming Us™ Before Baby and Becoming Us™ After Baby programs for parents, which you can use with individuals, couples or in a group setting. You'll get the curriculum for both programs, marketing materials, access to our very supportive Village Elders facebook group and a you'll work with our Becoming Us Mentor to help you get set up. We are currently developing a few other, single session community programs that you'll be able to present too, it's an exciting time for us!
Should I still do the professional development training if I don't want to use the formal programs?
Absolutely. Anyone who works with parents at any stage of their family life-cycle needs to know this new information and the difference it can make for parents and families going forward. The Professional Development Training is designed for you to use the information and integrate it into your own way of working with clients. You'll be able to plant Becoming Us seeds from day. In Level II, you'll learn the stages of parenthood and have handouts you can use with clients in whatever way is helpful for you and for them. In Level III, you'll have a deeper understanding of the more challenging aspects of parenthood, including Perinatal Mental Health conditions, ways to minimise your clients' risk for them, and the ways you can help parents who need it. If you're working with expecting parents, you need to know this education is in line with current recommendations from ACOG in the U.S., The World Psychiatric Society and COPE in Australia.
Then, if you decide you'd like more structure, direction and support, you can decide to go on and Certify to use the Becoming Us method.
What are the steps to certify as a Becoming Us Facilitator and use the Becoming Us approach?
We are still in pilot mode with this. And while we are, graduates who are going through this process will get it at a reduced rate.
Currently, the process is:
1) Complete all three levels of our Becoming Us Professional Development Training Program, either separately or as part of a class.
2) Apply for Becoming Us Facilitator Certification. We will ask you to send in your paperwork (eg. C.V., professional insurance and professional membership if you have it). You'll then be invited to have an initial 60 minute session with our Becoming Us Mentor and once approved, meet for a 20 minute welcome session with Elly. The current investment for Certification Application is $USD 497.
3) At this point you'll receive your Becoming Us Facilitator Agreement, guidelines and curriculum for our classes. Currently we have two classes: Becoming Us Before Baby (for expecting parents) and Becoming Us After Baby (for parents with a baby or toddler). You'll also receive the marketing materials for these to help you get up and running.
4) Decide if, where and how you want to run our Becoming Us classes. This year we will also be piloting our Becoming Us Reading Groups, especially designed for mothers, and two other community programs, one which will really appeal to Postpartum Doulas. We need more facilitators for all of them!
5) Run a class and send all the participant feedback forms from each session to us. Send in your own Facilitator feedback forms at the end of the training.
6) Continue to work with our Mentor on an hourly basis if you need more support.
7) Once we are all confident you are all set to go forward, you will receive your Facilitator Web badge and be listed on our new under construction website.
Are there any costs for me to run the classes?
We charge a yearly licensing fee to purchase and run the programs, provide new marketing materials, have ongoing support and access to any new resources. At this early stage, the yearly fee to run the Becoming Us classes in your community is only $USD 149. This year we also have interest to pilot Becoming Us Reading Groups, Babymoon Retreats and Corporate Classes. There will be more information coming soon on the licensing fees for these models.
I haven't run group classes before, is there support for me?
Yes! In your initial session with our wonderful Becoming Us Mentor you'll decide together if more mentoring is a good thing and how much will work for your needs. Any additional mentoring is charged at an hourly rate to be negotiated with your mentor. We want you to be successful because we know parents need you!!!
Running classes with an experienced co-Facilitator is much less stressful and more fun! Marketing is easier too with combined resources and contacts. So, if you know someone who loves running classes, you might like to team up with them (they will have to undertake the professional development training and apply to certify if not already). A mixed gender team for male/female classes is ideal and we would really like to have more male Facilitators on board.
How do I enrol for the online training?
If you'd like to join the May 2018 class, we will be taking enrollments up to the end of the month of May while folks are still introducing themselves and getting to know each other. You can enrol for the May class here. If you miss this class, or just want to dip your toe into our training you can enrol for Level I here at any time throughout the year.
Can I do this training in person?
Yes! I LOVE real, live, in person training, it's my favourite thing to do! Our very first full Professional Development Training will be in Sydney in 30 August - 1 September 2018. Level I will be in Perth on 8th December 2018. And I'll be in the U.S. in July 2018 to do some smaller workshops. I love to meet up with people!